The Maryland Chamber of Commerce is committed to cultivating Maryland’s culture of innovation, technology and entrepreneurship to help drive our economy and develop more jobs. Consistent with this commitment, the Maryland Chamber initiated the Maryland Competiveness Coalition, a statewide network of 60 employer organizations, to promote public policy that will drive even more innovation throughout our business sectors and maintain the State’s continued commitment to excellence in education at all levels. Our mission is to advance Maryland as a national and global leader in private sector economic growth and private sector job creation through effective advocacy, high level networking and timely communications.
For the 2014 session of the General Assembly, our priority issues are based upon the outcomes of the Maryland Competitiveness Coalition and its economic summit, the work of our issue committees and the continued support of our Board of Directors, members and staff in order to advance Maryland’s business climate. To that end, these top priorities are:
World Class Business Climate
Create a world class business climate that spurs private sector job creation, increases business investment, spurs more innovation, limits unnecessary workplace regulation, and ensures a competitive and reasonable tax system.
- Growing private sector jobs and greater business investment in Maryland must be a top priority. Restructuring the State’s tax system to stimulate business investment, innovation, and job creation is paramount.
- Modify workplace regulations to be less burdensome and more business friendly. We must preserve the employer’s right to manage its workforce and create an environment to expand and retain existing firms.
“Best in the Nation” Education System
Protect and cultivate our “Best in the Nation” education system to foster globally-competitive workforce.
- Maintain Maryland’s commitment to K-12, higher education, adult education and workforce development programs so we can become a global leader in workforce preparedness and education.
- Create innovative ways to connect educators and businesses to ensure that the workforce is trained to meet our current and future economic needs.
Competitive and Transparent Health Connections
Ensure the implementation of the federal health care law in Maryland promotes competition and transparency.
- Promote the private health insurance market as fair competition to the Maryland Health Connector (exchange).
Balanced Transportation Program
Advocate for a balanced use of transportation funding and ensure that the Transportation Trust Fund (TTF) is protected.
- Explore alternative funding options for major transportation projects to help alleviate the continued strain on the TTF.
The Maryland Chamber supports the protection and enhancement of current civil liability laws including standards for contributory negligence, punitive damages, and damages caps. In addition, we support energy and environmental policies that achieve a greater balance of economic needs and environmental concerns.
More information about the Maryland Chamber’s positions on the priority bills and other legislative and regulatory topics are available on our website at www.mdchamber.org.
Dowload a PDF of the Business Agenda